Sunday 2 November 2014

Animal Halfbloods-Willow Ease


     This is a story that I am collaborating with some authors!
      There may be multiple authors in one blog...
                      dianeandherwritingworld.wordpress.com
                      feliciaclar.wordpress.com
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

      Chapter One

I jump on the bus as the driver starts the engine. THAT's how much of a slop I am.
I peer dreamily out of the foggy window. I'm in Texas.
Not in Indonesia.
Texas.
My bag shifts as another girl sits down next to me.
Her face curls as she eyes my muddy sneakers. "Um, must've stepped on a puddle...." I try to act nonchalant.
"Oh, sure," she mocks me. Her hand reaches out to my bow.
"Uh..." I'm worried now. Very worried.
She grabs it, and slowly, mockingly, releases her clasp.
"No! Please..." I shriek.
"Whooops, too late!" she giggles.
I gasp as the bow flies out the window, into the streets.
The bus stops abruptly at a cafe`. I don't exactly know why I'm doing this.
My body doesn't want to stop. I race out of the bus and grab my bow.
As I fumble to put it on, I peer into a petshop.
I'm not sure it's true.
A dozen hamsters, winter whites I believe, are whispering.
Some playing on the plastic wheel shriek and whoop.
A hamster edges near me (as near as you would get in an aquarium) and says, "Hi."
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I scream.
The reflection of my face in the glass of the aquarium.
I have furry round ears.

                Chapter Two

I quickly pull my mouth shut, struggle to drape my hood over those ears.
This seems like a dream, it can't possibly be true.
But it is.
My feet sprint away, pounding on the dirt, dust flying like mist around me.
The bus driver yells, and I hear the children giggling around me.
I reach a small, dark alleyway, and my feet aren't strong enough to hold me up.
My eyes shut, and the world goes dark.
*
My eyes open.
The world looks strange.
My red hood has turned......black? No, no...
I rub my eyes with my paws. Wait, paws?
I look up. The walls around me seem higher, bigger...
No.
No no no.
This can't be true.
I'm a hamster.

A giant, furry animal 5 times my size pads past me.
Strangely, her claws don't jut out, her ears don't twitch.
She just looks....
Sad.
I look back and see a crowd of kids gathered round a shattered window.
Shattered.
Just like my mind.
What is wrong with me?

          Chapter Three

I pad into the strange looking building.
Slowly, carefully.
I've heard about hamster eating rats. Viscous and cold blooded.
I never liked rats.

This room is filled with books.
Vast, colourful (not that I can see most of them now in hamster form) shelves stuffed with
dozens of thrilling pages. I hope.

I shall read.
Read until I wake up from this dream.
I stumble up a shelf.
The Halfblood Encyclopedia 
Yes, I'll read that.
What are halfbloods?
A fictive beast I suppose?
I open the first page with all my hamster-sized strength.
Halfbloods are extremely rare. Kanine halfbloods are the most types to be found.
Hamster and feline halfbloods are the most rare of the rare.
Hamsters?
Wait, this book seems nonfiction.
Hm...

                          Chapter Four

My paw skims the yellow, aging page.
Types of Halfbloods on Page 11.
Yes!
I heave the pages up and down.
This is it!
Hamster Halfbloods
 Humans born with an extremely rare DNA cell. Most find out about their animal powers at 9 to 12 years of age. 
Symptoms of Hamster Halfbloods
-Unable to control their bodies at points
-Hamster ears appear
-Are able to communicate with hamsters

I gasp.
Those winter whites! I...communicated with them!
I must be a halfblood!

CRASH!
The book slides of the shelf, dragging me with it.
Plop!
I fall into a jar.
A jar that smells extremely delicious.
Sunflower seeds.

              Chapter Five

I open a few seeds, realising how large they appear in my paws.
Mmm....
Suddenly, the jar opens once again.
A girl with oldish earrings, wings, and a Pikachu shirt gasps.
Is there a Sunflower seed stuck to me or something?
"What are you doing here, little one?" she asked.
 Like I knew!
She pulls me out by the scruff of my neck.
"Who are you!? Put me down!" I scream.
Didn't ANYONE tell her that only mother hams could do that?! Was she my mum or something?
The teen girl brings me to a small room in the corner.
"We need to get you to Fawnheart, quick!" she exclaims.
*
The girl takes me into a room and pops me into an aquarium.
Suddenly, I faint again.

Chapter Six

A girl from my English class.
Tora.
Besties with Eva.
Friends with Miyuki.
I squeal.
"Tora, it's me Willow, from your English Class!" I scream.
She gapes at me, frozen.
I sniff around the room.
Books, chemical/sciency equipment.
A lab, I suppose.
Fawnheart, Nightbreeze and Cinderfur chatter away.
Finally, Nightbreeze says something about someone liking children.
What is going on?
Suddenly, something flashes in my thoughts.
The explosion.
Maybe it wasn't a dream after all.
Some liquid explosion, 3 days before my 10th birthday.
I have to piece these clues together, one by one.
And I think that the book I found in the library may help me.

Chapter Seven

Nightbreeze carries me into the library.
"Sssh.." she says."Be quiet Willow."
I can't seem to stop wheezing.
Tiny, little, hamster-sized wheezes.
"Sorry, I'm just excited. I have asthma." My eyes scan the room.
"Uh, wait then." Nightbreeze pulls out a puffer and does some kind of magic to it.
The puffer shrinks to my size.
She hands it to me.
Nice little puffs.
I calm down.
"Is this the book?" she says.
" Yes!" I shriek, and start wheezing again.
The puffer is in reach of my paws, thankfully.
"Hey, who was the cat?" I ask.
"Oh, Miyuki."

"Miyuki is also a halfblood?!"
"Yep, but she has her animal name, Silvertail." Nightbreeze grabs the book and places it carefully on an old, oak table.
"Can I have one?" I ask.
"Okay."
"Uh, Whistletoe?"
"That's great!" Her eyes light up. "Now, which page, Whistletoe?"
"Eleven, I think."
Nightbreeze caresses the pages carefully.
Suddenly her eyes widen.
I look at the book.
Page 11.
It's gone.

Chapter Eight 

 Please read chapter 15 and 16 of Diane's blog to find out what really happened.

I'm so happy that Whistletoe has left my body, for now at least.
Even though Tora had to stab my wrist for it.
The little blue bandage hides under a sweatband on my arm.
I open the family computer.
Hey, it's still on Mum's email. I look around the room to make sure nobody is there, then I click randomly on one email.
To: Melania_Ease@gmail.com
From: Gardenhall_admin@mail.com
Subject: Land Ownership

Dear Madame Melanie Ease,

As you have recently done an Immigration from Australia to the US, and purchased land as large as 300 meters, it is our job to make sure the land you bought was not purchased with illegal money.
Bla bla bla.....I scroll down quickly.
We are sorry to say that this land was not actually owned by the person who sold it to you.
With that, we very much regret saying that you must move out of this house before the 22nd of November, 2014. 
If you have troubles with finding an accomodation as we process things through legally, that is the Human Rights Association's job.
Regards,
Kennedy R. Jones,
Communication Services of Gardenhall

I gasp.
That means we have to find a place to live.
Fast.

Chapter Nine

"You're worried that you'll get kicked out?" says Miyuki.
"Something like that."
Tora walks into the class.
She looks like she's about to cry.
"'Sup, Tora?" I greet like a 2nd grader.
"Uh...." She looks at us, her blue eyes brimming with tears.
"Well, Willow might get kicked out," says Eva.
She makes it sound like I'm going to the park.
I poke her with my elbow. "Sorry," she mumbles sheepishly.
"I think I'm going to move to Aussie again," she finally says, not daring to look at us.
"WHAT?!"
*

                       


 

No comments:

Post a Comment